Thursday, November 29, 2012

Speak Your Truth

For a not very observant new-Jew I sure spend a lot of time reflecting and creating art on Jewish themes. The City Shul is offering a meditation class which started this morning. After leading us through a couple of different meditations our teacher Elaine talked briefly about Jacob wrestling with the angel in this week's Parsha and then we were asked to meditate on a few questions. These questions asked us when and why we do or do not speak our truth.



I wrote these few words in my notebook as I came out of the guided meditation and then transferred them to my art journal this afternoon.

What does it mean to speak your truth?

Feeling?
Experience?
Insight?
Desire?
Expectation?
Requirement?

A gift from the soul that you share with those you care about = The entire world.

But what does that have to do with wrestling with the angel?


The Magen David in this image was an orphan block. I originally sewed some pieces of fabric together   to be part a baby quilt, and then it was going to be a kippah, and then it sat in my studio asking for a home and now it is gelled to a page of this journal and painted over and journalled around and has found a new life.


What I have discovered through meditation is that my truth is to be found in the pause between my breaths. A place without words.

1 comment:

Carolyn Dube said...

I have found meditation to be a gift from above lately. I never know what will come out of the meditation but I have not been disappointed. Love how your orphan block journeyed into your wonderful journal!